Social Events, Weekend Trips and More
4WD day trip – Mt Matlock and the chance of snow
Non-4WDrivers are encouraged to attend
Join Mat G, Mark R & Gordon C on a 4wd Day Trip a short distance from Melbourne. We are heading off to the summit of Mt Matlock, and we are likely to say to see snow along this trek. We leave Marysville and run along the border of the Upper Big River State Forest and Yarra Ranges National Park. We will briefly visit Cambarville Historic Area to investigate the remnants of the timber and goldmining era. We will also see Victoria's tallest tree, “The Big Tree”, as well as Cora Lynn Falls and Cumberland Falls. In due course we will complete the last kilometre to the trig point at the summit of Mt Matlock. Then we'll return to Marysville for afternoon tea and a quick drive back to The Big Smoke. This event is suitable for 4wd’ers with some experience and suits Dual Range 4WD’s.
WHEN: Sunday 6th August
TIME & MEET: Meet 9.30am for 10.00am departure from the Car Park outside Nando’s, cnr. Larissa Ave and Maroondah Hwy, Ringwood - opposite Ringwood Lake. MEL 49 J8.
ROAD CONDITIONS: Freeway and sealed roads to meeting point. NOTE: 1. Routes might be closed due to changed conditions. 2: If so then we will change from the advertised routes to others which are open. 3: 4WD routes are not pre-driven before the date of the event.
4WD TRACK CLASSIFICATION = EASY. Ideal for first time drivers. 4WDs with both High and Low Range. Proviso; if there is a lot of snow (unlikely) it could change to DIFFICULT. If this happens, we will car-pool into the Low Range 4WDs with the more-experienced drivers for the heavy-snow section.
For explanation of classifications go to motafrenz.org.au and click on the Events tab.
SUITS CARS: AWDs and 4WDs – but see Proviso above. Leave your car at the Meeting Point, and car-hop for the 4WD section of the day. At the end of the day you will be ferried back to the meeting point to collect your car.
BRING: *Remember – it will be cold and snowy. Bring your Picnic lunch plus Basic Personal Kit; picnic lunch, water bottle, spare food, spare warm clothing*, walking shoes, hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, and rug. DOGS NOT ALLOWED in National Parks
BOOKING: Preferred so that we know to wait for you if you are running late.
COST: Your fuel-contribution to vehicle owner.
RSVP: Mark R 0412 127 338, , When you RSVP could you please advise me, for planning purposes, of the following: -
1. Are you bringing your own 4WD vehicle? If so, please advise number of passengers, their names, and how many spare seats you can offer for those who will need a lift from the Meeting Point?
2. If you are not bringing your own 4WD vehicle, in whose 4WD vehicle will you be travelling? OR please let me know that you will need a seat in someone’s 4WD vehicle*.
3. Will you be self-sufficient for lunch, or like in the past, would you like to share lunch? If you would like to share, what would you most prefer to bring?
4. Ambulance cover is a good idea; http://ambulance.vic.gov.au/
* Seats for those people not bringing their own 4WD vehicles cannot be guaranteed. (In all our years of 4WD events we have always had seats available.) When you RSVP please state that you will be needing a seat in a fellow-member’s vehicle. Closer to the date of the event please contact the designated event organiser and ask that person to confirm to you that a seat will be available for you. The event organiser will then confirm (or otherwise) that a seat will be available, and this will save you from attending the Meeting Point and finding that a seat is not available. Please remember that the availability of seats depends on the goodwill of the 4WD vehicle owners. Although we will try to accommodate your seating request, we cannot guarantee you a particular seat in any vehicle.